Digital B2B platform
WeldGalaxy will create a secure, scalable, user-friendly and transparent digital B2B platform that connects end-users with equipment and consumables manufacturers, suppliers, distributors and technology providers. Based on a Dynamic Knowledge Management (DKM) structure, the WeldGalaxy digital platform will be integrated to a dynamic evolving database with relevant data from equipment and consumables manufacturers that will dynamically evolve as the usage of the platform grows. The platform will include:
- Powerful simulation tools as well as a system simulator for overall system modelling for functional simulation, enabling digital testing, prototyping, and optimization of process parameters.
- Control system data, sensors, communication interfaces, power supply, cooling/heating needs, health and safety requirements for functioning and communication between different types of equipment can be ensured.
- Information on standards, regulatory compliance and security requirements to facilitate industrial networking and automation — equipment can be used as ‘plug and produce.
- Cost- and environmental modelling (LCC, LCA) for decision making.
Knowledge Based Engineering (KBE) tool
Knowledge Based Engineering is an innovative method for design automation, which captures and reuses product and process knowledge, allowing businesses to rapidly develop products.
WeldGalaxy will include a web-based KBE system that allows designers/manufacturers and end-users/customers to visualise and analyse the design process with the help of simulation tools and life-cycle cost analysis (LCCA). This KBE will:
- Autonomously create, formalize, use, update, maintain and retire knowledge in the form of information from WeldGalaxyDataBase (WGDB) and current data to interpret and assess the impact of any change to the product model.
- Incorporate the semantics of design procedures — semantic standards for linking engineering knowledge for product design and manufacturing.
- Translate complex engineering methodologies into a virtual smart flow schemes that is easily understandable by any consumer and the consumer can design their own product through the information design feedback to them from the computational framework. This would enable them to act as designers of products of any specific application.
- Enable automatic update of the library when a new product/equipment is going to be designed. This would enrich the system and would open up the gates for the evolution of sophisticated products/equipment which were not implementable before.
WeldGalaxy will develop a chatbot as part of the help functionality to enable ease of access to information. This Chatbot will:
- Provide generic information on welding equipments following simple text searches by users.
- Conduct conversation with users to retrieve detailed information including equipment property, compatible equipments and vendors. Visulaisation of data charts, images and 3D models of compatible equipments.
WeldGalaxy will be a DLT-based vehicle for connecting/merging the European welding industry to Digital Single Market. It is the industry’s first attempt to use the most advanced digital inclusion technology – Distributed Ledger (Blockchain) for welding. The DLT based platform will ensure:
- An Inclusive community of welding industry stakeholders.
- Blockchain/smart contract mechanisms for immutability of information and its protection from tampering.
- Secure financial transactions
Computational welding mechanics
WeldGalaxy platform will contain powerful simulation capabilities which will enable users to simulate the welding process at both micro- and macro levels. It will also provide coded models including material models, microstructure evolution models, weld pool material models, surface property models and welding heat source models.
Open Innovation Calls
The project will involve Financial Support to Third Parties [FSTP]. To this end, a robust process has been defined to select 25 Experiments (stated as initial objective) by launching 2 Open Calls along the project. There will be one Open Call per year,once the platform is ready for testing.